Sunday 3 March 2013

Art, Music, Food, and Rights

    During our classes on February 5th and 7th the subject we were to discuss is Art, Music, Food and Rights in the North.  I missed the first half of presentations this week that was suppose to be focused on Food, Religion, Music and Art but made it for Karlyn's presentation on the Grey Wolves in concerns to the rights of animals in tourism and the zoos.  

 
    Karlyn told us about the town of Thomson putting together a wolf discovery  centre that doesn't house any wolves.  The town of Thomson does have an active wolf population. 10 percent of the 50 000 wolves in Canada are in Manitoba (according to the presentation). They however decided to keep the wolves separate from the zoos but to bring awareness and information into the town.  Doing a little extra research my self I found that the wolf discovery center, or the spirit way,  is a 2.5 km walking or biking path that has been marked as one of the top 20 places to visit in Manitoba, and designated as a Manitoba star attraction. Check out the following web page for 16 reasons, and points of interests along the spirit way. 
Thompson, Manitoba.  My husband's hometown.  Lots of family there....helps keep you warm considering it can snow in June.  
Found on Pinterest from Sheri Dubec
 http://pinterest.com/pin/261349584595381876/

    So after reading these 16 points, does it make you want to head up to Thompson and take the spirit walk for yourself?  I don't think I would be too interested in paying the money to check this out. There's just no bang for your buck in this excuse to stop over on your way up north to see REAL live polar bears or go swimming with Beluga whales. (I'm still really excited after learning you can go swimming with Beluga whales up north, and really just thinking of that as another excuse to go up to Churchill!)

   I think this would be the biggest problem with animal rights when it comes to zoos and wildlife protection agencies.   They need money to help support conservation initiatives to help the animals, but people expect an up and close encounter if they're dishing up some money to go see them.   For the wolves in Thompson, it wouldn't be helping the wolf population to cage up the wolves and have them be put on display in small spaces to do shows in front of people.  So I'm happy that the city is attempting an alternative solution to this buy putting up their spirit way walk.  Unfortunately I wont be adding this to my list of things to do.

   I like to think that my past trips have left a meaningful purpose to animal life and that wasn't causing any harm.  I've already talked about this before in my previous blogs, but seeing the panda's in Chengdu, China I believe to be a positive zoo.  The zoo is located in the location that the Pandas were originally found. They are using the area they house the pandas in to grow more bamboo.  They don't have to worry about the climate or any changing weather because the pandas were meant to be there. They are not being put into a colder climate, or somewhere to dry.  One of the bigger concerns I have when I think about zoos now, is what are animals doing during the winter when they are not suppose to be cold. Or the opposite, of how winter animals can adapt to warm temperatures.  I found a really good article article that weighed the options of elephants in cold climate zoos at http://www.helpelephants.com/coldclimatezoos.pdf.  The conclusion to the article talks about how zoos in cold climate should prohibit the display of animals that can't be properly cared for in cold climates.

   I had a good conversation with a woman I met at the festival du voyager this past week whose son is a zoo keeper here in Winnipeg.  I remembered going to see the Australia exhibit when I was kid, but after learning about the dangers to animals in cold climate zoos, I thought I would ask if we still have the Australia exhibit. She ensured me that it was too cold for the animals and that we had to get rid of them. And also with other animals that require warmer temperatures that they are sent south for the winter time, and transported back to the city in the spring.

  I've never been to our zoo in the winter time. I want to remind my readers that the zoo here in Winnipeg does remain open during the winter season.  They have also received a new polar bear member to the zoo named Hudson that is on display!  I'm thinking this could be a fun trip for me if I can find some time in the busy semester!  Check out more information on Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park Zoo at   http://www.assiniboineparkzoo.ca/index.php


   As for other Winnipeg outings and to learn more about Inuit Art I suggest heading to the Winnipeg Art Gallary to see their extensive collection of Inuit Art. Check out the link http://wag.ca/art/collections/inuit-art for more information. They also have a new exhibition going on till April called Creation and Transformation: Defining moments in Inuit Art.  Check it out, and keep reading my blogs for more information and insight on Northern Environments. 

Mother and Child, Sheokjuk Oqutaq
http://wag.ca/art/collections/inuit-art/display,collection/61859


Thanks for Reading!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment