Sunday 3 March 2013

Northern Lifestyles


Ice Sculpture - Festival du Voyageur, Winnipeg
Maggie Noble, 
http://pinterest.com/pin/6192518207547027/

   Our northern lifestyles lesson couldn't have come at a better time than along side Winnipeg's Festival du Voyageur.  The festival has been present in Winnipeg for over 50 years, and celebrates the 'joie de vivre' of the original French Canadian fur trades who helped establish the Red River Colony.  I was told by one of my elders that the festival was originally put on in the city because there was nothing else going on, and it was needed to highlight the community to celebrate their culture here in Winnipeg winters.  The festival showcases traditional French Canadian food, drinks music, traditional clothing, music and culture.  Our French Canadian culture is really a great way to showcase our Northern Lifestyle to the rest of the world, as we head out to drink caribou in an ice cup while observing massive ice sculptures and listening to traditional music.  For more information on the festival check out their website at http://festivalvoyageur.mb.ca/
igloo under northern light - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Liza Bo,
http://pinterest.com/pin/237846424041562852/

   In our class this week we got to learn about an even more electrifying topic, the Northern Lights.  The northern lights, or aurora borealis, is something known to anyone living in a Northern lifestyle.  They have been interpreted in many different ways.  One interesting fact that Angela told us about was that the Inuit thought that the Northern Lights brought a warm temperature along with them, but the Norwegians believed it brought colder temperatures.   Both these cultures were from very different climate regions, so maybe its possible that they were both correct.  Another interesting idea was that whistling can attract the northern lights and that clapping will send them away according to the Inuit. I used to be able to see the northern lights all the time, here in Winnipeg. They were dancing in the sky just in my backyard.  But over the past few years they seem to be more hiding or going elsewhere.  I'm curious if the amount of city light pollution has made it impossible to see the Northern Lights in my area of the city now. I found a good website to learn more about the Northern Lights at http://www.northernlightscentre.ca/northernlights.html.

   Other presentations this week included hunting techniques from Joe, and ice fishing from Jesse.   I found it really interesting that people in traditional Northern Environments can support their families on the land.  I feel that if I was put up North and told I can't use my credit cards to support myself, then I would probably end up going hungry. I find it hard to understand supporting the industry of hunting and trapping. If we're hunting the deer or the seals, then what are other carnivorous animals eating?  Living in the city, I know and understand that the large majority of meat I eat are from farms.  So why would there be a need to go out to kill animals, when a farmer can do it all for me. I feel that for city persons, hunting has become just a sport.  I myself enjoy sitting and fishing on the ice. I'm curious how traditional northern lifestyles are going to change as towns become to large and can't be supported on just the work of hunters and gatherers.  There is already a large need for supplied and canned foods to be brought up to the North.  Is it possible to begin more organised farming techniques in place of hunting up in the North.  I found an interesting project going on for sustainable hunting tourism going on in Northern Europe back in 2009.  To read more on the topic go to http://www.northernperiphery.eu/en/projects/show/&tid=9 or http://www.northernperiphery.eu/files/archive/Downloads/Project_Publications/9/Brochure%20in%20English.pdf. I like that the northern countries are working together in this project to help support the development of sustainable hunting practices up north. 
 
   Our last couple of of presentations helped us really understand a couple of northern town lifestyles. What I found really interesting is that there is some pretty good incentives for going up north as a tourist.  One of my bigger travel items is to head up to Churchill to visit the polar bears, and go snorkeling with the beluga whales.  I also learnt about the tundra buggy that allows for a unique living experience in the North. Check out the towns website at http://www.churchill.ca/ for more information.  The second town that we looked at was the proclaimed 'Jewel of the North'.  Pond Inlet has a 95 percent Inuit population of 1500 people living on the Northern Tip of Baffin island. These people are not necessarily looking to stick to their traditional lifestyles, but to adapt to a changing world in the North.  To me this sounds exactly what they should be doing.  But there is always a fine line between adapting with the world, and loosing too much of their own culture. So I hope that this small town can find a balance that works for them.  

    One of the more interesting and controversial problems occurring in the North has to do with the high food prices.  If you don't know much about this, then feel free to read this article on Nunavut residents protesting the high food prices; http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/06/09/north-nunavut-food-price.html.  My heart goes out to any one stuck in a bad situation, in which they cannot afford to have milk, or proper nutritional items.  But I think the high food prices are there for a reason.  These people live in more remote areas and if they can't support themselves off the land or with their professions then maybe they shouldn't be living in such a remote area.  I'm curious if the government offers an option to people who cannot afford to live in these conditions.
... then again, if someone has 35 dollars to buy pogo sticks or 29 dollars on cheese whiz , I don't think they are doing so bad up north. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/05/16/north-nunavut-food-security.html
http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674photo_the_cost_of_food/


I would go for the Fruit Platter, and keep it in my year long out door freezer, called permafrost.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment